Sunday, March 22, 2009

excuse prisoners

I have been thinking about the concept of excuses for a long time. We have become a society littered with excuses and we are a slave to excuses. In fact, everything we do includes this activity of using excuses; this putting off, this procrastination of not doing something or perhaps we are waiting for more positive, affordable and effective, replaceable alternatives. So, I am also feeling optimistic about this notion of excuses although this topic almost forces me to discontinue writing this blog entry. And perhaps I am not cogent with this area of thought; (and while I write this I will leave this entry on the back burner, sign out, think, incubate, and reevaluate what exactly I want to say.) It is really a complicated story though, and so, I too, have given up on excuses. We seem to use lame excuses more and more frequently. My students give me incredibly terrible excuses that I don't even want to consider. Pardon my critical nature, but have we become so idiotic a people that we are really listening to these excuses? Unfortunately, I have to listen to these positions and believe them, give credit and at the end of it all, the trap is set - we become excuse prisoners and part of this dogma that shapes our existence. And that's no excuse!

No comments: