Thursday, June 19, 2008

push and pull

Last night in class I had a student who was talking about her art collection. (I had asked her what she owned.) The discussion led into quite a lengthy survey of her material possessions; her furniture, the house design, a general description of her other acquisitions (and not so general) and the conversation went on in excess. It made me wonder about "things" and how much is enough?
I recently started the book, Anthills of the Savannah, by Chinua Achebe. He also wrote When Things Fall Apart, another book I intend to read. Achebe is Nigerian and writes about contemporary Africa; the political and emotional turmoil of his homeland. There seems to be an emphasis on African writers today - the current trend at this time.

Time that I have on my hands to think and do my work is not always the easiest task. Sometimes, I get up and feel very directed on what I should do and it all falls into place. Other times, I am forced to be quiet and reflect. This blog urges to me write and evaluate my position when I am stuck; it is a repose and a challenge at the same time.

No comments: