Monday, January 26, 2009

Sunday's Threads

Friday, I boarded a plane for the week-end to attend my reception at the State Museum in Juneau. My solo exhibition titled Sunday's Threads was nicely attended. Pictured is my video that welcomes the viewer into the room that hosts my scrolls and tapestries. These works are experimentations; predominately a painter, I often go off the beaten track to try to discover freshness with my expressions and seek other ways of working to uncover new ideas. I was interviewed on public radion that aired at KTOO that Friday, January 23. The museum will be buying a piece of my artwork for their permanent collection.
The next day, I hosted two workshops in scroll making. The students did a wonderful job collaging and painting on the surfaces of verticle pieces of fabric. Below, you can see how complicated and intricate some of the pieces became. The children were quite involved for a good two hours; a feat in the world of working with young people and keeping them inspired is always a challenge.
I was also fortunate to get a tour by one of the local residents and see the town of Juneau and it's immediate surroundings. Juneau is a lovely town littered with quaint homes of character that lean right up against the mountains. Flying into the town was dramatic. Below I got to see the splendid (and diminishing) Mendenhall Glacier. It was quite impressive.

No comments: