Saturday, April 11, 2009

sowing spring space

It's planting time again which brings to mind Pieter Bruegel's painting called The Harvesters completed in 1565. I study this work with my classes because it is one of the more tranquil pieces from the Renaissance movement compared to the heavy Italian religious artworks which are often dark and brooding. The Harvesters is a landscape littered with the worker/peasant; it is poetic and light in nature as it describes the ebb and flow of the changing cycles of the land. Ken and I just started our indoor planting - over 250 small to medium size pots set up for us to see what will appear. Already a few have shouted their sprouts. I realized too that most of the house plants needed repotting screaming at me for more space. Once I had given some of the plants their new homes, they seemed adjusted and happy.

No comments: