Monday, July 2, 2012

summertime stretch

Intermezzo, mixed media on board, 12" x 12", 2012

Summer is usually a high energy time for me; sunshine, long hours and uninterrupted periods in the studio gives me an abundance of new works.  Shown above in this art piece,  Intermezzo, I am playing with mixed media, which is usually an interim work used for study, play and a rest from painting.  Below, It is just the way it is, is my first experimentation with cement and wood, one of my more sculptural pieces and is my favorite test to date.
It's just the way it is, cement and wood, 2012

Hand Study, oil on canvas, 10" x 12", 2012

Next month, August 3rd on the 1st Friday event, I will be showing new paintings called Painting Hands at the  Alaska Humanities Forum.  It won't be a huge exhibit, but it entertains the notion of working directly on the canvas surface and letting the paint speak for itself.
Seemingly Unfinished, Painting Hands, oil on canvas, 38" x 26", 2012

Below is the painting called Summertime Stretch, my newest work, with cement hands and painterly gestures of outstretched hands this art work entails a stencil of my own arms.  I continue to make other works and look forward to more three dimensional creations.
Summertime Stretch, cement and oil on canvas, 38" x 26", 2012

No comments: