Saturday, December 22, 2012

a morning visitation of bohemian waxwings

The other morning I was at my front table looking at the light.  Days are clear and cold here but the sun is blazingly beautiful.  Our loss of daylight goes quickly and I enjoy studying the sudden and swift shifts of projected sunlight - the darks and lights reflected on the snow which creates a pink glow to the grounds.

I noticed flocks of birds circling across the street and had seen these birds often around town but in smaller numbers.  Later that evening, my husband told me that they were Bohemian Waxwings.  I quickly grabbed my video camera and raced out the door.  Walking across the street, I watched the several flocks come and go, rest on several neighboring trees, and often, in one sudden swoop, they would take off and do this incredible dance throughout the sky.  I stood and observed for over fifteen minutes with my bare hands exposed to the frigid temperatures and I hardly noticed the uncomfortableness.

These moments are precious and magical to me.  It was a morning visitation from the Bohemian Waxwings and I had managed to be at the right moment, the right time when they arrived.  The next day, I saw a considerably smaller flock across the tree but they didn't stay long.  Happy Solstice!

No comments: