Wednesday, May 6, 2009

fresh paint

It's a new start for me, a summer bringing elated optimism of doing new studio work. Pictured above is a painting completed last year called fresh paint peppered with a minimal ground and fabric ties. It is a contemporary landscape and probably not too understandable but to artists of my kind and network. Today's contemporary artists are the most misunderstood of art makers. Contemporary means the now, the present and the work is too current for acceptance from mainstream audiences. As the summer months approach, I look forward to creating another three art works; stretched canvasses are gathering energy in my studio and ready to be pounced upon, scraped, bullied, painted, destroyed, recreated, loved and despised. I enjoy the challenge; the adventure of doing something better than what I have created in the past (or possibly not.) Painting is a psychological game to me, a cause, a break, a misery, darkness and light. My yoga practice encourages and teaches me to do some of the poses without struggle. I will try to employ this theory to my art making, but I still believe that without some struggle, some pain attached, some sweat, the works don't resonate and speak out. As one student once commented during a lecture I was giving, who cares?

No comments: