Friday, May 9, 2008

de milagros, myanmar and from one extreme to another




In 2006, Ken and I crossed over the border from Mae Sot, located in Northwestern Thailand, to Myanmar. It was Christmas day and we rented 5 dollar bikes. This border town was hot, dusty, transient and hectic. We happened to fall upon a massive Buddhist temple and photographed the myriad of iconography. What a beauty.
Meanwhile, I just finished reading The Miraculous Day in the Life of Amelia Gomez by John Rechy. It is a fast but full read, colorful, humorous and sad about an Hispanic family living in Hollywood. My next novel will be Annie Proulx's That Old Ace in the Hole. She is one of my favorite writers; her prose is dense and well written. Last summer I read Postcards and it is one of my recommended reads. I also posted one of my recent paintings........the collective unconscious working at speed; perhaps an expression of self indulgence but I think of it as gifts of gratitude.

No comments: