Sunday, May 4, 2008

five easy pieces


Last night I rented the film Five Easy Pieces with a very young Jack Nicolson. His acting is great, unaffected (before he really went Hollywood bozo) and wonderful to look at. Karen Black is good too (where did she go?) It is a 70's period piece and wonderfully done. It is heady and I love the existential pauses; it can be tough and raucous too. There is a scene where they (Jack and Karen) are driving to Washington State to see his aging and dying father and they wind up picking up a couple of hippie hitchhikers. The gals are headed toward Alaska where the air is pure and there is no filth.

Another intelligent film I saw this past March along the same lines was The Sauvages with Laura Linney and Seymour Hoffman. What to do with their aging father? Their conversations and the reality of their time dealing with this situation was very realistic and human. It is a bummer of a topic but I love content films. It said something to me rather than leaving a vacant hole in my stomach.





No comments: