Sunday, February 8, 2009

AK

As much as I travel around and see other places, distant countries and cultures, I feel like I live in a remote part of the world which can be considered a paradise in itself. Alaska, for all it's quirks (and being from Palin land), has redeemed itself to me onto another plane. The skiing is superb; fabulous trails that go on for miles without seeing another person in sight. (And it is all free!) The recreation in Anchorage, my home at the moment, is endless. Also, the Native Alaskan mentality is rich and plenty; it takes some time getting to know and understand it. I have made a home here. I use to complain that the art was thin in places; it is, but I can get out and see other countries and places and bring back memories from afar and still create a rich cultural experience. As an entrepreneur - an artist and educator, I get ample time in the studio to work, contemplate, ski, cook, read, do thorough research; among other luxuries, the list goes on. Alaska has made me spoiled AND I have to watch that I don't get too comfortable because being comfortable always makes me suspicious. Who knows, maybe I have been missing out on this reality or never thought I deserved it.

No comments: