Saturday, February 14, 2009

skiing

I use to downhill ski back east, but nothing compares to the skate skiing that I have taken up in Alaska. They have magnificent trails all around the city. Each year, I try to expand on the trail system that I know and I try go a bit further; find other ways and other networks, climbs that challenge my workout. There are the straightforward trails like Westchester Lagoon where you can go for miles along the inlet. Presently, I am working on the Hillside trails; rigorous climbs and unassuming trails that seem to go on forever and you can get quickly lost and put off. Years ago, I started working every day on this craft; a feat of balance and propelling your body forward and if you fail to move, you go no where. It is a conscientious and continuous stream of cardio exercise. In theory, I love it, but once I am out, I am confronted with the serious labor ahead of me. And, the mystery about it all, is that sometimes you just flow and glide, you go and float through a wonderland of dusted trees of white and an air of fabulous scent that you could almost eat.

No comments: