Friday, February 20, 2009

in preparation for Kodiak

I am currently preparing for a residency at Kodiak Island. Part of the program is working with high schools students and the staff; I complete workshops and presentations and as the guest artist this is also a time to reflect on my own work and expressions. I will be documenting the student's progresses and processes and hope to video some interesting dialogs and exchanges. In my studio I am doing some wall studies call studio vignettes. They are assemblages of bones, drawings and paintings and mixed media objects. I consider these light studies and prep work;I get to add a bit here and there, listen to NPR, reflect on other work that I intend to complete when I have more ample blocks of studio time too. I will take these arrangements and continue expanding this concept in Kodiak.

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

When in Kodiak, fans of public radio listen to KMXT 100.1 FM. The only show they don't carry that I wish they did is Talk of the Nation. They do have lots and lots of music, too.

corinne said...

Katherine ~ how long will you be in Kodiak? I mentioned to someone the other day that I've always wanted to go there and they said you only need to go once. When I see the photos, it looks like a very mountainous Ireland (I've never been there either). I look forward to your photos. I intend to go there at least once in my life.

Alaska's Dirt said...

hey corinne....(what does that mean, that you only need to go once? does that mean that it leans to being boring?) i have seen pictures of Kodiak; looks beautiful. am going for two weeks and taking two books and slide tests to grade.....ha, ha! will let you know.....